Sunday 18 October 2009

TEB 09

The Season Kicks off ... Im afraid my review is based purely on youtube vids and the highly entertaining reviews on FSU (figure skating universe) but nethertheless may it entertain you!


"Add Joannie and you've got a world champs" "Welcome
back
Sasha ... oh wait" "The over-scoring of Kim Yu-Na" "Can Jou-bert the falls
oda-wise it may be the last headcase standing" "Where its legal for siblings
to
touch each other up"

Entered the figure skating universe prediction competition and was first in all the events but the pairs - well it wasnt a predictable result now was it. Although in the case of the dance I had hoped I wouldnt be correct with the order of the top three.

Going on the programs alone I would have had the order 1: Virtue and Moir, 2: Kerr and Kerr 3. Pechalat and Bourzat. But I would have to agree that the elements of P/B looked harder than some of those of K/K.

Free Dance Reviews
Tessa and Scott
(V/M) If I listen to different music whilst watching it its brilliant - but sadly its another drab classical piece of music with no real beat which seems to now be an ignored requirement for dance music. But that is my only criticism of it - oh and the bland black and white costumes which are being used by a very high percentage of the dance teams this year. The skating you cant fault, Im not sure how some of the lifts are scored as there are a lot of them. But their lifts are amazing and in particular I love how she performs a little rotational jump out of one lift which incidentally has been copied by P/B.

Natalie and Fabien (P/B) Last year they copied the idea from T&D's Barnum, this year they are copying the Germans R/L Clock routine. When will they get an idea of their own? I liked the elements of this team, especially the lifts - one of which they use a little rotational lift copied from V/M. However he was not really into his knees ... didnt have much of a softness. And their transitions - well what transitions, I thought the Kerrs transitions were lacking until I saw this team. They had the odd trick in there but mainly it was very slow paced crossovers to gain maximum speed. Judges didnt seem to care so I guess this tactic worked. Disappointing to watch though. They do manage to avoid the black and white trend for free dance costumes this year one of the few positives I have for them.

Sinead and John (K/K) Its original its new its modern ... but I dont really like it. The music leaves you somewhat cold and unenthused. But you have to commend them for real originality unlike P/B. Shame the theme within it is so similar to Muse last year as it takes away from the originality. The transitions looked pretty bland, and lifts were good but not new and exciting. There long lift which was meant to I think go with the crescendo of the music was late if it was. Twizzles were back on today - had not been expecting to be more worried about Sinead than John on these but thats whats happened so far. The costumes - Im keeping my fingers crossed that these are not the final ones. Im sorry you cant wear jeans in a free dance - it looked like Johns movement was restricted as a result. If you are able to skate your free dance in jeans then its not challenging enough is my personal opinion. Hate to criticise this team but I really want to see them go out on a high if this is to be their last season. And really they would have been looking for second place at the end of this event - the technical score in particular is needing some work.


No comments:

Post a Comment